Friday, January 1, 2010

I've Been Searching...

“May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you’re wonderful, and don’t forget to make some art — write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.” --Neil Gaiman

I've been searching for a quote that spoke to me, on a very difficult day. And thanks to my friend, The Mad Voter, I've found one.

Usually, I don't do things like this, I find them maudlin, and self-pitying. I don't want anyone else feeling sorry for me-why I avoid certain gatherings back home-so I try to discourage myself from throwing any pity parties. But with the turn of the decade, one that she has missed, I can't help thinking about my mother.

She was born slightly after midnight January 1st 1937 and died January 8th, 2001, a mere seven months after my father. She was a massive science fiction fan who claimed I was conceived to Star Trek. A woman who dragged her young child to every now iconic SF film the first week it opened.

As I watched Avatar, I thought how much she would have loved this.


I'm sure I'll add to this later, but for now, Happy Birthday, Mommy.

Addendum: I've surprised myself quite a lot since she died...

No comments: